Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Randomest Post EVAH

Woo-hoo! Tess is down in Ann Arbor doing a recording, The Rozzle is fast asleep upstairs, and I'm already knee-deep in the hootch, mis-typing like crazy. Uh-oh! "Did you drink & blog?!?" Yes, sir, ossifer, I did do that. Onward, then...

1) The end of the semester is...well, ended. I turned in my final grades today (hence the copious amounts of squashed grapes), and so another chapter in my career comes to an end. I've spend 10 (mostly) glorious years at Chip Central, and...

2) There are going to be (at least) a few more. Hold your breath... (Okay, let it out, you're turnin' BLUE, for fuck's sake!) I was offered tenure. W.O.W. And...I turned it down cold. Can you freakin' BELIEVE IT?!? Shit. Great people, great school...shitty economy. The basic upshot is that it would have been the PERFECT job, if only I'd been single. As it is, the offering school had poor insurance and is the ONE place in the country that housing is actually going UP. It's the wrong move for my family: we'd have lost everything on our house HERE (selling at a loss), only to move to a place where a starting professor couldn't afford to buy one. Miss Tessmacher would have been giving up her freelance career here...like, it would have been WORSE than starting over. So...yeah. That said, I was counter-offered a nice deal from my current employer, so we're set for awhile.

3) I have the theme song from "Land of the Lost" stuck in my head, because we've been on a View Askewniverse DVD kick for the past few nights. Y'know, Will Ferrell in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?" His character's name is "Marshall Willenholly." All I can say is: Kevin Smith is a freaking GENIUS!!! GOD! He, like, includes every geek-boy 70s joke and gag in the world. All together, now: "Marshall, Will, and Holly...on a routine expedition...met the greatest earthquake ever known! High on a mountain, it struck their tiny raft (Ahhhhh!), and plunged them down a thousand feet below!"

4) My wimmin are SICK! Ugh. They finally went to the Dr. yesterday - this, after Roz sniffling and being subjected to the dreaded Snot Squeeze for over a week! - only to find they BOTH have a sinus infection. I'd say we're shitty parents, except The Rozzle is such a TROOPER! Except for a few bouts of frustrated crying (which we partially blamed on her spanking-new tooth!), she played and goofed off like normal. Alas, now BOTH my girls are on azithromycin, but are expected to make a full recovery. Oh, and it's SO hard to be the husband I want to be! I'm trying to take care of them, AND do all my end-of-semester shit, AND get the mother-fuckin' diapers washed, AND the goddamn lawn needs mowing...and, and, and. General plea to the cosmic consciousness: let me be the human being my cat already thinks I am? Thank you.

5) We're going to be VERY busy with the Folias Latin Dance Project for the next few weeks...AND throughout the summer! For those of you who don't know, Tess and I have been performing with our tango-riffic friends Carmen & Andy as the FLDP; we did two concerts last spring, and this year we're playing in Grand Rapids (on Friday), Mackinac Island (July 27th), and Kansas City (hi Steph!!) on August 8th (or whenever) at the National Flute Convention. PLUS: I wrote a grant to fund a CD recording of our project, which we'll do on May 19th and 20th. Shit. I fucking HATE TO PRACTICE!!! This is partly why I became a composer in the FIRST place! Gah. Ah well. It's fun shit, and Carm & Andy are big, BIG wine-o's, so it's all good.

6) My running has picked up. A couple of my friends (hi Mike & Mac!!) are marathoners, which makes MY running look insipid and trite by comparison. But, as I've said before: it's the ONE exercise I'll do, so bleah. I don't really like it, but since Roslyn was born I'm topping 180 again, and, well, I just don't like all that *flub* around my middle. Apple-shape/heart-disease be damned, I just want to be a sexy bitch! So, I'm running regularly again. Or, shuffling, as the case may be. Recent additions to my iPod include a Glam mix (heavy on the Sweet, T-Rex, Mott the Hoople, Gary Glitter and, of course, Ziggy Stardust) and the new David Readman LP. What?!? You don't know who David Readman is??? He's the lead singer for Pink Cream 69, you fucking MORONS! Oh, my god...just...just fucking DOWNLOAD HIS SHIT, okay, for the best that modern prog-metal has to offer. Seriously. Get on it. No, I mean it...get off this blog right now and

4 Comments:

Blogger Gknee said...

You are busy!

tenure..wow...I bet it feels good to be offered it. We all know your the best it's about time "they" recognized it!

Glad your girls are better. Roz is just too cute (facebook picture)

8:08 PM  
Blogger L*I*S*A said...

So glad to hear about the tenure, and even more glad that you are staying put.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I was hoping exactly this would happen with the job thing. You know, self-affirming job offer, then good counter-offer from the folks who have been benefitting from your good work for a long time already. Kudos to you. :)

We can't WAIT for August!!! I hope you all ditch those swarms of flute-playing freaks when you're not knocking their socks off with tango to hang with us in Lawrence and KC.

Many healing vibes to Tess and Rozzle. Sinus infections suck.

8:48 PM  
Blogger LauriO said...

Hey gorgeous!

When are you going to be in GR for this little playing thing?? I would love to be able to see/meet/dine...etc with you and Tess when you are there. We are only 25 miles away you know!!! And I for one am glad you are staying put, too.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home