Monday, May 10, 2010

Gettin' Down To House Biz-ness

So, the semester is officially over. Big, BIG "Yay!" I didn't find it particularly onerous, but still…nice to be done. Now, some work on the house can begin in earnest!

The thing is…even though our new house is 94 years younger than the old house…the previous owners didn't really do squat while they lived here. The place was grossly dirty when we moved in…GROSSLY. Dirty. No exaggeration for comedic effect, there. Just…yucky. Heavy draperies with so much dust on them, it had actually become a kind of cloying, greasy substance. Ick. Especially considering it's mostly human skin. Double ick.

My mom was lamenting the scratches on the cupboard doors…only to find out, while cleaning them, that they WEREN'T scratches. What looked like scratches in the wood itself was actually light scratches in…the scum and scale that was coating the wood. Ewww! Once she got the scum cleaned off, the wood itself was perfect.

The yard is the same way. Now, I'm no Chem-Lawn enthusiast. Truth is, I'd be fine to do NOTHING to the yard, and mow what grows. However, it's choked with so many dandelions and other weeds, the grass is having a hard time growing. Grass grows more slowly than weeds, so by eliminating the weeds and encouraging thick, healthy grass, I'll be mowing less often. A tradeoff, perhaps? A couple of applications of Scott's per year, vs. the carbon footprint of mowing tall weeds every 4th day.

Luckily the house doesn't need any of the behind-the-scenes work that the old place did. No worries about the foundation, no need to rewire…it's all surfacey stuff. So, I'm trying to get a handle on the lawn, and the place is now pretty clean, and we're UNPACKED! I mean, really, completely unpacked. I need to mount some shelves in a small room in the basement for tools & such, but at least those 4 tubs are IN the room where they belong. Very cool. Now it's all about picking paint colors, and getting ready to eliminate the sloppily-applied, dull-as-shit neutral white that offends me from every wall, and get some vibrancy into the place. Photos to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yay! Good for you. I still have boxed packed up from when I went to college. The first time. In 1995. I also have a few boxes still packed up from when my mom packed us up and moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky - in 1985. At least I know unpacking procrastination runs in my family.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Cool!

Any kind of home improvement is so daunting to us...good luck!

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home