Saturday, June 12, 2010

(Non)-Guilty Pleasures

A list! Stolen from Madtown Mama, stolen from Jenn-Jenn, and so forth…

Five little addictions: not like chemical dependencies, but more like guilty pleasures. Problem is, there's very little about my addictions that I'm guilty about, so I don't know if that makes me clueless or geeky…or, clueless about the LEVEL of my geekiness. Whichever…here ya go.

1) Kiss. If you don't already know that I obsess about Kiss, you're either a new reader or you're just…not…paying…attention. I discovered Kiss in 1976 with the help of my 5-years-older aunt, and I never looked back. For me it really is mostly about the music (and you can keep your snarky comments about their level of musicianship to yourselves, thank you!), but I certainly have WAY too many boxes of Kiss-themed junk. Also a pinball machine. *sigh* For now, I'm content with the newish album Sonic Boom, which so totally ROCKS, dude! And, my 12th-row tix to see them on 9/11. With my best friend. What could be sweeter??

2) Vinyl. Don't get all kinky with that one, eh? I mean LPs, you dorks! Sure, I grew up in the '70s, the heyday of vinyl, but I adopted cassettes ("You want me to get new tapes, Tony? I'll get new tapes!") and CDs and mp3s and…well, pretty much everything but 8-track and reel-to-reel. I'd lost a connection to my vinyl collection until bro-in-law Joel came on the scene, and he completely reignited my passion for what is, pardon me, really the best listening format around. I now buy all my new music on vinyl, if I can, and that includes releases in the past 2 years from Kiss, Springsteen, the 52s, the Donnas, Chickenfoot, Metallica, AC/DC, Ace Frehley, and a 25th anniversary pink vinyl edition of Twisted Sister's monster Stay Hungry. I actually want a portable turntable, and have made my birthday wishes known in this regard. Seriously. Go get a turntable and some fuckin' records, man. You'll thank me in the morning.

3) Sex and the City. Y'know why? 'Cause it's a show for MEN, you asshats! Look…4 hot chicks who prance around naked, fucking everything in sight. *Ptooo!* Show for men and lesbians, end of fuckin' story.

4) Stephen King. He's been around what seems like for-fuckin'-ever, and he's consistently over-productive. I just eat his books up, from The Stand to Shawshank Redemption to current 10-lb. dictionary The Dome. Seven volumes of Gunslinger? Fuhgeddaboutit! I never want him to die, and when he does, I want him to have followed Prince's footsteps, with like a gajillion unpublished works that'll last until 2068. I'll read the last one on my 100th birthday, a-thank yew verrah much.

5) Magic: The Gathering. In the world of gamer dorks, you're usually divided into one of two camps: dicechuckers and cardfloppers. Dicechuckers play D&D, cardfloppers play M:TG or some godforsaken spinoff that I don't even want to consider. Magic is great, 'cause it has everything: it's collectable, which feeds THAT beast in me, it's creative, it's fun, it's a good excuse to get together with friends, it's playable for untold hours in a row, and even with thousands upon thousands of cards, it really doesn't take up that much room. Go buy an introductory set and see what I mean…plus, you'll make my cards worth more!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suze said...

I agree that #3 is all for men. I've seen like 2 episodes of Sex and the City, and it just makes me feel frumpy and uncool.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Scott, I meant to tell you this story before and forgot: the night of my birthday (day before I came to MI), Eric and I were downtown and we decided to stop by the comics store--the one you went to with me--so I could pick up a semester's worth of Buffies. Eric was like, "oh, except it's Friday night...oh, never mind." I was like, "What?" and he was like, "Oh, nothing." So we went, and I opened the door to the place and there were like twenty people in there sitting around a table playing "Magic: The Gathering." I literally closed the door and then opened it again when Eric assured me that this was normal. Afterwards I was all like, "Did you know that they would be there?!" And he told me that he didn't want to let me know what happens in comics stores on Friday evenings for fear I'd refuse to go in, because he wanted to see my face when I opened the door on all those "Magic" people. You would have probably enjoyed that too...

I didn't tell you that story, right? Because I'd feel really stupid if I did.

SATC SUX.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home