Monday, January 08, 2007

Mexico Log, Part 2

Sunday, 12/31/06

We were awakened by the whistling & screeching of tropical birds. This was hilariously similar to our honeymoon experience in West Chester (PA), when we were woken up by flocks of noisy, gossiping geese every morning. I was expecting a brightly-colored, exotic-looking bird, but I espied one later and was disappointed by its plainness: the male is a dark blue, skinny crow-looking thing with a longer, pointier beak. The female was a drab brownish color. Oh well.

The days are very nearly equal here (duh: EQUATOR, numbnuts!), and while I was stunned that darkness fell at 5:30pm, I was also surprised by full sunlight around 6:00am. Our morning was typical of the Miller cottage: breakfast, coffee & small talk. I showered, which was a lovely experience as the whole affair was open & tiled. (Note to self: engage in constructive debate re: the value of vacationing in a place where refreshing shower is followed immediately by application of sticky sunblock.)

We walked/drove back up the road to the main beach & cluster of dive shops & knick-knack stores. The beaches are BEAUTIFUL, but the sand is oddly coarse, as if it's made primarily of ground-up shells.

I saw my first of several topless women, which after an initial mild thrill (Wow! Boobs! Out in PUBLIC!) was kind of a ho-hum affair. The breeze is pretty brisk here, and for my own personal sanity I bought my first touristy item: a straw hat that's part cowboy, part rock & roll, and all tacky. Tess rolled her eyes when she saw it. But, not only did it keep my wisps out of my eyes, it also helped block the tropical sun, which is HOT and immediate.

After a beachside lunch I walked back to La Sirena while everyone else went for groceries at the Super Chomak (cha-cha, cha-cha-cha). I took a refreshing dip in the pool, and upon reentering the condo was startled by the presence of a large cockroach on the wall. I briefly considered my feelings re: the sacredness of all life before smashing the offensive insect with my shoe. Later that evening, a small gecko entertained us by chirping from atop the living room painting. (Note to self: in future, avoid places where insects outsize lizards.)

The Millers went for a walk while I began work on my woodwind quintet, Cork Pine Suite. (I started, of all things, the wintry movement. Nice.) Most of us took an afternoon siesta in the air-conditioned bedrooms, then Sue & I prepared tostadas de pollo for dinner. Before heading out to La Buena Vida for New Year's Eve festivities, I attempted to move my bowels, with disappointing results. I may have to start drinking the water, as I seem to be the ONLY person to come to Mexico and become constipated...although I suspect it's all psychologically derived from a reluctance to throw poopy paper in the wastebasket instead of flushing it.

Joel, Amanda & I had fun at the bar: I drank Bohemias with lime and tequila shots 20 feet from the Carribbean Sea, smoked Cuban cigars & toasted in 2007 wearing a tank top and shorts, 1,500 miles from the drab chill of Michigan. Happy New Year!


Blogger Steph said...

I'm usually into the sacredness of all life thing as well but I always make exceptions for the coachroach. One time I found an albino one. In the shower. Right here in Kansas, far from the equator.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

I would like to remind people that I also went on this trip, despite the fact that I chose not to partake of the New Year's Eve partying. I, tired of drinking "aqua con gas" (carbonated water) chose to stay in that night and revel in the miracle of creating a life inside of me. I went to bed at 10 p.m.

8:37 AM  
Blogger L*I*S*A said...

I was beginning to wonder if Tess was along for this trip. ;)

Looks like a blast!!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a new escorts site /blog.

It pretty much covers london escorts related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home