Monday, April 27, 2009

My Obsolete Car

So I read the saddish news today that GM, in its desperate gambit to stay afloat, is cutting loose the anchor that Pontiac has become.

I guess that means I now drive an obsolete car.

So does my wife.

And, so do at least 4 other people in the immediate viewing vicinity of my house.

While I certainly can't make any claim to speak for the entire nation - or the world, for that matter! - I can say that GM really hit one outta the park with the 2002 Toyota teamup that created the Vibe. I bought one that year, and now 168k miles (and change) into it, I haven't once thought about trading it in. Now, some guy on NPR opines that Pontiac "isn't really an identifiable brand," and apparently hasn't been since the Bandit ushered a semitruck full of Coors across the Mississippi in a '78 Trans Am. Which, really? 'Cause all those Vibes in my neighborhood - and the dozens more that pass me on the way to & from work every day - really belie that.

*sigh* I dunno. If GM says they need to abandon the Pontiac brand, I'll have to admit they probably know more about it than I do. On the other hand, they've just assured themselves of at least one less car sold in the years to come, 'cause if I can't buy a '10 or an '11 Vibeā€¦I'll either buy a Toyota Matrix or a Subaru Outback. Sorry, GM: you spoiled me on the "sporty" wagon, and now that's what I want. Your loss.

4 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

It'll be interesting to see what "brand abandonment" really ends up being. I mean, there could be a '10 and '11 Vibe. Or, maybe there will suddenly be a Chevy kick-ass sporty wagon...called the Vybe or somethin'.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Fun Guv said...

I hear what your saying, but honestly have you seen the newer Vibes? They don't appear as spacious as the one you have now...

They did say they'll keep a couple of the models from the Pontiac line, Mike's hoping for the Bonneville (he loves that car *shrug*) but I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Vibe for ya!

1:12 PM  
Blogger L*I*S*A said...

So why not buy the Chevy Traverse?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

Sorry to post in the comment box, but I'm not sure how else to reach you! Animal, I'm about to go underground. If you send me your email address, I'll invite you as a reader.

goneferal@gmail.com

If not, that's cool too. Hope all is well~

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home